Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sutrum Vizhi :)

So, if you've read my Facebook status posts for the past week you know that I have become OBSESSED with Surya songs- one in particular called "Sutrum Vizhi" that I am actually attempting to learn! I got a few comments on the postings asking for a translation of the song, so here it is, as promised! Keep in mind that translation from Tamil to English is EXTREMELY difficult and confusing, so if it sounds really odd, it's probably the translation. Also, I've decided to translate it by the stanza instead of by line because it seems to make a little more sense...also, here is a link to the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3hmilS0_U

Sutrum Vizhi
Sung by Surya in the movie "Gajini"

Sutrum vizhi sudare
sutrum vizhi sudare
enolagam unnai sutruthe
sattai payyil un padam
thuttu thuttu urresu
enidhiyam patri kulluthey
un vileel vilenden
vinvileel parenden
kanvilithu soppanum kanden, unnalay
kanvilithu soppanum kanden

(Rough Translation: Your eyes move in circle like the flame on a lamp when there's a slight breeze. My whole world revolves around only you. I keep your photo in my pocket, I keep it so close so that it's always touching my heart, holding my heart. I fell for your eyes- I was flying in the universe, and I must have been dreaming while awake.)

Mellinam marbil kanden
vallinam vizhiyil kanden
edayinam thedi alai endru

(Rough Translation: I found mellinam in your chest, vallinam I found in your eyes, and I 'm finding edayinam all over you.)

Maramkothi paravai andru
manam kothi ponathu endru
vudal muthal vuyir varai thanthen

(Rough Translation: There was one woodpecker, she came and pecked out my heart today- that woodpecker was you, and I'm giving up my soul and body to you.)

Thee indri thirium indri
megangal erium endru
indro thani naanum kandu konden

(Rough Translation: Today I've realized that even if there is no fire and no wick to burn in a lamp, the clouds will still burn.)

Mazai alhaga veyil alhaga
konjum puthu malhai alhagu
kanna nee
kobapattal veyil alhagu
kanna nee
kobapattal veyil alhagu

(Rough Translation: Is the rain beautiful, or the sun? This is my question, because honey when you're affectionate rain is beautiful, but honey when you're angry the sun is beautiful!)

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if any of you who speak the Tamil language disagree with any of these translations. They have come from several friends that I've asked, and like I had said before translating was very difficult!

No comments: