Friday, October 9, 2009

School Dance Competition


This morning (Saturday) I got up early to go to school for a dance competition- but, today was going to be quite different from a normal day at school. For one thing, the competition was being held at the old school (which is closer to the apartments where I'm living), I didn't have to wear a uniform (YES!!!), and I was going to school for fun instead of classes!
My host mother dropped Piriyanga and I off at the old school around 8:45 a.m. The competition was supposed to start by 9:00 a.m. but didn't end up starting until around 9:15 a.m. We spent the time before walking around the campus, her showing me her classrooms from when she was in first standard, and watching some of the participants get some last minute practice in.
The competition started- it was a competition between the four "houses" at my school (it's EXACTLY like Harry Potter! There are four houses, competitions between them for points, and at the end of each year the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup!). The houses are Chera, Chola, Pallava and Pandya- all past kings of Tamil Nadu. The dances were really cool, and each involved several different styles of dancing. There was some traditional dances, but also a bit of Michael Jackson thrown in where a few boys were doing the moonwalk! I had fun clapping along to the songs that I knew (that included Beat It and Jai Ho...!) and was in agreement when it was announced at the end that the Chera and Chola houses tied for first place!
After the competition ended, Piriyanga and I were picked up by my host mother and we dropped her off at home. The two of us then went and recharged our phones and my host mother bought a new charger for hers too. It always amazes me the things you can get on the side of the street here- at home I would have to go out across town to get a new cell phone charger, and it would cost around fifteen or twenty dollars, when here I can just walk outside the gates of the apartments to a little store across the street and get one for eighty rupees (a little over a dollar!)!
The weather here still seems the same to me- hot in the mornings and early afternoons with cooler evenings. It's really weird to think that if I was at home right now, not only would it be cold, but the leaves would all be changing colors and it would be an obvious Fall season. I guess it's kinda nice to have summer year round though! I've always been a warmer weather person, and when we went up to Ooty (where it was cold and rainy) everyone was laughing at me because I was so cold all the time! Who knows! Maybe I'm turning into an Indian!

1 comment:

Rob and Sara said...

Hi! I've fallen a little behind on blog comments! I've been reading all your posts, just not commenting right away.

Your comfort level at different temperatures really can mutate. I used to be a cool-to-cold-weather fan, but last year in India I got totally accustomed to the heat and humidity.

Then came home in February and practically froze to death! And now, I'm cold again with the onset of the Oregon Monsoon.

This summer when it got up over 100, I loooooved it.