Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Birthday Night Out (not exactly trick-or-treating!)


In the evening on my seventeenth birthday, my host parents and I went out for dinner and a movie! Our dinner was an all around favorite- my favorite restaurant, Annapoorna, my favorite food, naan and paneer butter masala, AND my favorite desert, a mango milkshake! It was a great meal and a fun dinner! My host parents and I discussed Halloween in the US- the costumes, traditions and all the candy! I told them how much fun it has always been to have a birthday on Halloween, and how this birthday was extra special and would always be throughout my life!
The movie we had gotten tickets to see, Aadhavan, started at 10:00 p.m. The story was about a man (Surya acted this part!) who is a killer and gets an assignment to kill another man. Throughout the movie he gets close to the man and in the end it is discovered that the man was actually his own father! The movie itself wasn't great, but both my host mother and I loved all of the songs and had a good time singing along in the theater! My host father hated it...:) Oh well! It was a great night and a great birthday that I will never ever forget!
P.S. the photo above is of my host mother and I in front of the theater before the movie!

3 comments:

Mark Knox said...

Singing along with the movie music in the movie theater sounds like a lot of fun! But, it sounds like it was a girlie movie and what I know about Prabak is he likes classic westerns (oh yeah!).

I'm glad you had a memorable birthday in India. I know you will never forget where you were on your 17th birthday and neither will your family. You're such an amazing young woman growing up too fast for me, but you're going to be such a great contributor to our society that I'm busting with excitement. - Dad

Unknown said...

Hi Madison, and Happy Birthday. I'm so proud of you I can barely stand it--and today your article is in the Daily Tidings. You shared many excellent ideas and values for your fellow teens here in Ashland. Thank you for doing that; thank you for being an outstanding role model Madison! Your birthday celebrations sound super sweet and memorable, especially the trip to the orphanage. Such an amazing adventure you are having, and such courage it takes to embark on such an adventure. Hang in there with the homesickness; your family is right here when you get back.
Lots of love to you from, Maria (Jot down some recipes and you can teach an Indian cooking class when you get back!)

Piriyanga said...

The movie is actually that,Surya is given the task to kill the man....when he was going to shoothim,he found that he was his dad...then,the rest of the movie,he acts like he is trying to kill him but is actually protecting him from the gang who is trying to kill his dad....But u were awfully close for someone watching a tamil movie without knowing tamil...