Monday, October 5, 2009

Brownies at a Holiday Inn?!


Our last day in Ooty was absolutely gorgeous! Rianna (the other exchange student from New York), her host parents, two other Rotarians and I had all been pretty FREEZING for the first few days, so when we walked out to the car that morning and the sky was clear and the sun was out, we couldn't help but laugh out loud from our happiness!
We went to breakfast first, to a restaurant that we had gone to before, and it was SO crowded! Rianna and I ended up having to sit in a small table in the corner so that we wouldn't have to wait very long to eat! It always amazes me though, how fast the food service is here. Almost every restaurant we go to there is almost no wait to be seated, and you order immediately and the food is sitting in front of you before you can even finish a conversation! It's so fast!
After breakfast, we all drove to the Botanical Gardens that Ooty is famous for. It was a beautiful and HUGE park with paths winding up into the mountain, brilliantly kept green grass, flowers planted in designs, and so many trees! We walked through almost the entire park, climbing high enough to see the entire city below us! On our way around, Rianna and I were stopped several times by people inquiring where we were from and/or wanting to take photos with us. Seeing as we were two blonds, and we were together, this behavior didn't seem to surprise the Rotarians at all. It was fun though, because most of the photos were with young guys or a group of young adults who were crazy! One of the groups had even been to California! When I told them I was from Oregon they got really excited, and when they told me that they had just gotten back and had gone to Disneyland, I was the one who got excited! I love Disneyland!
On our way out of Ooty, we stopped for lunch at a Holiday Inn (it's always fun to see American things here!) where there was a buffet in a restaurant, overlooking all of Ooty and the Nilgiri Mountains. It was an AMAZING lunch! There were even brownies for desert, and when I mixed them with vanilla ice-cream I got some weird looks, but it was SO delicious!
P.S. Photo is of Rianna and I at the gardens!

No comments: