Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Late Night Movie


Yesterday was a Saturday, and I had school from 8:20 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. A lot of the time, schools here will have "make-up days" on Saturdays throughout the month to substitute for all of the holidays. Since Diwali was last week and we got a day off of school, this Saturday was added into the school schedule.
I got home from school around 2:00 p.m. and my host mother and I had lunch before heading off to our Yoga class at 4:00 p.m. Yoga was a very relaxing class- we spent most of the hour in the basement meditating and resting after our four daily rounds of "Surya Namaskaram" (a group of about six positions that you do all together in a row). It was so relaxing in fact, that my host mother and the other woman doing the class with us both fell asleep!
In the evening our apartment was full of smiling faces- not only were our neighbors over to chat, but my friend Appurna who lives in this apartment complex also stopped by! Sanju (the elder of the two little girls next door) was working on a spreadsheet where she was trying to put all of the states and capitals of India in alphabetical order. We pulled out an atlas, and were working on it together when Bapu (Sanju's younger sister) decided that she was missing out and climbed up into my lap to see! It was the first time that Bapu has ever sat on my lap. Usually she's very shy around me! Appurna showed up a few minutes later and I made tea for the two of us (I'm trying to perfect the art of tea making....). We then looked at a few of my family photos and talked for a few minutes about my birthday coming up this weekend before she had to go back home.
Vadivu (Sanju and Bapu's mother) then invited me to go with their family to the movies! They were planning to go to the late night showing that starts at 10:15 p.m. to see a movie called "Peranmai." It's a Tamil movie, and I had no idea what it was about, but I was so excited to get to go to the movies again! We left the apartments around 9:20 p.m. after LOTS of technology failures when trying to call my parents!
The movie was good! I absolutely loved the first half- it was all about a group of college girls that are in training to become forest rangers at a wildlife reserve. Their trainer (the hero of the movie) is very handsome, and they don't like him so they pull tricks to get him fired. But, when they're called into duty they realize how great he is and learn to really like him. Then there was an intermission. We all went and had a scoop of chocolate ice-cream before returning for the second half- the violent half! I was sitting next to Sanju, and both of us had to close our eyes for a few different parts. The movie suddenly had gotten really gruesome, with lots of killing and blood. It was pretty unrealistic, and after the movie we all agreed that the first half was much better than the first.
We got back to the apartments around 1:20 a.m. and I let myself into the apartment with the key that my host mother had let me borrow. Everyone was already asleep, so I quietly got ready for bed, turned on my mosquito repellent plug-in and went to sleep.
P.S. The photo above is of the main actors in the movie :)

No comments: