Saturday, October 31, 2009

Another Birthday??


After coming home from the orphanage with a big smile on my face, my host family and our neighbors (the two little girls and their mother Vadivu) each had a slice of the birthday cake that Rianna had brought over for me. It was really good! The first cake that I’ve liked since being here actually! The cakes here taste NOTHING at all like the cakes at home- they have an almost earthy taste to them…but this cake was different, and even had my favorite flavor for the frosting- strawberry! Vadivu, Sanju and Bapu also gave me several wrapped packages to rip open and find some really thoughtful gifts; a piece of artwork in the shape of a triangle, a small photo frame, a stitch kit, and a cute little basket/teddy bear from Bapu!
After my host father finished his lunch, he took me and dropped me off at another birthday party- one for a friend of mine whose birthday was over the week. She had it at Hot Chocolate, the restaurant where I first had a sizzling brownie! I arrived to a small welcoming party at the door- they were so cute! Even though it wasn’t my party, they all sang “happy birthday” to me and even gave me some jewelry and a card as a gift! We took some photos as I thanked them and wished the birthday girl a happy birthday, giving her a gift from Oregon- a deck of playing cards and a few pencils from the San Diego Zoo. We all went and sat down then to order, taking more photos and chatting as we ate through three pizzas, six tacos, a sizzling brownie, french fries and coke. The party ended with a bit of a mess….we all decided to force feed the birthday girl a taco, and then we dumped chocolate into her mouth from the sizzling brownie! It was a lot of fun!
P.S. the photo above is of me and the OTHER birthday girl!

No comments: