Thursday, September 3, 2009

Underwear Blowing in the Breeze

Today was Thursday, so at school all of the periods were shortened in order to fit in a "zero period" at the end of the day where kids go to clubs or play sports outside. I had the first period free, which ended up being a very good thing because I had to study for my first ever biology test here! I studied hard during that half-hour. Since I don't know how the grading system and test taking works, I was really nervous when the period started. When I had finished writing the test (on a piece of blank paper with the questions written on it) I handed it in to the teacher who graded it right then and there- twenty four out of twenty six marks! (The system here is in "marks" rather than grades). I was really happy with that, and the two missing marks taught me a lesson- ALWAYS put an example in the answer!
Later in the day I had Math with my ninth grade friends. The teacher walked into class, and straight into a chorus of begging from all of the students- they wanted badly to have a PT (play time) period outside. Being a nice lady (and because exams start next week) she said yes! We all filed through the hallway before everyone broke into a run when we got outside. The girls and I decided to play basketball- I was excited and a little curious to see how everything differed in the game here...and it did a lot! First off, we played with about twenty-five kids with no set teams, we also played with no rules except out of bounds, and the game ended up being more like throw ball than basketball! The court is cement, and the ball was old and oddly heavy for a basketball, but it was still a lot of fun! Even fun when I got stepped on and pushed over onto the ground as one of the boys sped right into me- I scraped my knee a bit (and EVERYONE stopped to crown and make sure I was OK. Yes, it was embarrassing) but not bad at all. It didn't bleed, so no one worry!
Today after school was a parent-teacher meeting day, and I got a ride home with Sowbe and her father Ram around 2:40 p.m. They dropped me off at the gates of the apartments and I walked back through the small streets- looking up to see underwear blowing in the breeze on clotheslines outside the many windows.

3 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

Haha. I love the part about the underwear over where you were walking. Was the laundry hanging on poles that stick out perpendicular to the buildings? Or on clotheslines on people's balconies?

Overall, sounds like a good day. The biology marks certainly make up for a skinned knee. :D

knox.madison said...

The laundry is hanging on metal wires that are on people's balconies- almost every apartment in the complex has at least ONE of the wires loaded! It's funny to see because I'm so used to having a dryer you know?!

Yes. The biology marks did make up for the skinned knee!

Rob and Sara said...

Yeah, it's strange to us that there aren't many dryers. But that's because "current" is SOOOOOO much more expensive there than it is in Oregon!

That's also why almost all your lights are fluorescent.

And why so few homes have AC, other than maybe a window unit in a bedroom.

Indians' household energy usage is perhaps the "greenest" aspect of their culture. We could learn a lot from it!

Sara