Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Long Day at the Office...

This morning I woke up early to go to work with my host mother. She had a conference this morning for all of the Oriflame directors here in Coimbatore. We arrived early, and I was glad that I brought a bag of things to do! I ended up taking out my new sketch book and a book of mahindi designs to practice drawing some of them. The meeting started soon after, and my host mother whispered to me "Madi, you should put that away, they are trying to see what you're doing." and she gestured towards all of the people sitting in the plastic chairs behind me. I looked around, and sure enough, everyone was looking at me and trying to catch a glimpse at what I was drawing! I blushed and placed the book back in my bag.
By the end of the meeting, I had ended up in the back of the room where I could freely do whatever I wanted (without making noise of course!) without being a distraction. I finished my mahindi practice, and then read my book "Water for Elephants." I REALLY liked this book a lot and definitely recommend it to everyone (I finished it today later on)!
After the meeting ended, my host mother and a few of the Oriflame people from Chennai and I went out to lunch together. We went to the veg-restaurant where I got the veggie burger, and today I decided to try it again. It wasn't as good as Annapoorna food, that's for sure...!
When we had all finished lunch and a fruit cup (OMG those are SOOOO good!) we all drove back to my host mother's office where the three of them had a meeting (this is where I finished my book). They finished at about 6:00 p.m. and my host mother and I left and are now running errands. We are now at Piriyanga's parent's business, and then we are planning to go to the bank, and the exchange office so that I can get some money for my trip to Chennai! I leave Friday morning on a flight out of Coimbatore and I'll be there for a week! More details later!

1 comment:

Rob and Sara said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! Water for Elephants! One of my favorite books! Definitely a good choice for reading, on what might otherwise have seemed a much longer day.

How nice of Mahesh to take you along to the meeting. Sure beats sitting alone at home!

And.... I love that all the people in the room were craning their necks to see what you were drawing. We foreigners can be SUCH a distraction, can't we? ;) I even drew a crowd of onlookers once when vomiting in Mumbai. (I'll spare you the details!)

Anyway, great choice of books.

Have a wonderful time in Chennai!