Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Cockroach Morning

Yesterday, when my host mother returned from the office, the two of us went to the post office in order to send off a big fat envelope full of postcards to my parents (they're going to put all of them in the mail when they arrive). Unfortunately, after I had dropped the letter in the box, my host mother found out that we had to put more stamps on it because of the weight....So, we had to get the post master to open the letter box for us and get it out. After we had gotten the five new stamps that the letter needed (adding up to 405 rupees or about four dollars) we put the letter back into the box and left.
Last night was a party. My host mother had set up a dinner with some of the family friends, and so when we got back from the post office, she prepared some of the food- I even got to help a little bit!!! I was so excited to learn a little bit about the cooking! I can't wait until I can try out the recipes on my own!
Before we left the apartment, my host mother's niece (and my good friend) Sowbe came over for a few minutes! I was so excited to see her after such a long time (since I've been out of school on break and she's still in school because she's in 12th grade...) and I invited her to come with us to the dinner party. We convinced both my host mother and her mother and then Sowbe, me and my two host parents all left the apartments and drove to the house in my host father's new car.
The evening was spent chatting with Sowbe and all of the mothers, eating dinner (that was amazing, like always!), and then having ice-cream for desert! It was a fun night, and by the end of desert it was getting late so Sowbe and I were yawing away, not able to stop because it's so contagious. We were laughing at each other and falling asleep on each other at the same time!
This morning I woke up and went to the bathroom. When I got inside and looked around my eyes picked up something big and black in the corner, sitting on a broom. I looked a little closer and almost screamed really loud when I realized that it was a GIANT cockroach! Now, I'm used to seeing lots and lots of little roaches running around the apartment, but I have never in my life seen a bug so big. It was so gross! (The picture above is so you can get a feel for what I saw...I know, it's gross!)
P.S. After a good suggestion from my dad, I went onto Google Earth and messed around until I found out what you have to type in to see the apartments where I live. If you go onto Google Earth and type in "L&T apartments, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India" two options pop up beneath. One is "Avinash Apartments" and that is the one you have to click on to see the above view of where I am! I hope you can check it out sometime!

2 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

Ah, yes, Giant Bugs. Creeeeeepy! And they make a HUGE mess if you squish 'em with a shoe. (...my Voice of Experience speaking. Ick!!)

Unlike in the U.S., cockroaches aren't a sign of poor housekeeping or unclean surroundings. They're a sign of a tropical (or almost-tropical) environment. They're just there.

At least they don't bite. Or cause any real harm, beyond the grossing out of Americans. he he he...

I'll check out your apartment on Google Earth. Thanks for the tip.

Sara

knox.madison said...

Yes- the cockroaches are just a sign of a tropical environment, and yes, in no way do they mean an unclean home- like you said Sara "they are just there." Very true!