Monday, September 7, 2009

"Attitude is Altitude" - Dr. B.K. Krishnaraj Vanavarayar



Yesterday was a VERY busy day here in my life in India. I woke up (at 8:00 a.m.!!!!!), had my breakfast, and a short time later my host mother and I left the apartment to go to her office. On the way, she dropped me off at a friend of hers business- her friend is a teacher at a local college who teaches jewelry and toy making. Since I've been here I've been wanting a teddy bear, and my host mother had the great idea that I should make my own! So, I've been to my host mother's friend's twice now for a total of about three and a half hours, and I'm still probably only 70% finished! I'm stitching it from scratch- Padma (my host mother's friend) had all of the fabric, but my job is to sew it all together and (attempt) to actually make it look like a teddy bear!
Padma had to be at work at 12:00 p.m., and so on her way to the college, she dropped me off at my host mother's office. We rode on her scooti, and it was a lot of fun because I'd never ridden on a scooti through actual Indian traffic before...it was loud and hot, but when we got moving, the wind was in our faces and we sped alongside the cars, trucks, bikes, cows, people, and of course the other scootis!
After being at my host mother's office for a few hours, the two of us sped home to meet Prabak- he was already home when we arrived, and so the three of us had a VERY quick lunch before getting into Prabak's car with out neighbor Vadivu and leaving to go to a function. Vadivu's husband, Mahalingam, is a partial owner of a new school being built here in Coimbatore, and yesterday was the opening ceremony.
We arrived at the college in the afternoon. The construction work was not quite finished yet, but I could tell that it will be very nice when it is fully built! When we walked into the entrance, we were greeted by many men, all of whom had something to do with the school being built and opened. My host father was even handed a bouquet of roses (which he gave to me) as he entered!
We spent the afternoon touring around the finished pieces of the school- the Principal's Office, Computer Lab, and a few of the classrooms. After looking around for a bit, we went back down to the main outdoor hall when the Chief Guest arrived- the Chief Guest's name was Dr. B.K. Krishnaraj Vanavarayar (don't worry, I can't pronounce it either!)- and he is a man of great status here in Coimbatore. He has given money towards the making of many schools, and he was also invited to Vatican City a few years back to speak about Hinduism at a Peace Conference with Pope John Paul II!!! After Dr. B.K. arrived, all of the near 200 people there filed into a conference room to hear him speak. We ended up hearing a total of seven speeches (most of which were extremely long and in Tamil....) and when it came to be Dr. B.K.'s turn to speak, he got up to the microphone and said "Well, I'm confused about what language to speak. I know that I'm supposed to speak in Tamil, but I see a young lady here from out of the country (pointing to me) and so I'm confused." The audience laughed and everyone shouted "Tamil!" I was hoping for English, but unfortunately, majority rules and his speech was given in Tamil. Even though Tamil is a language that I can't understand, there are quite a few English words thrown into the language, so, even though this great man spoke in a language other than my mother tongue, I was able to understand a few pieces, and my favorite line was "Attitude is altitude." I find these words to be most truthful, especially since I've been here. I've learned a lot about myself, but I've also learned the big lesson that this exchange is going to be what I make it ("attitude is altitude") and that by being positive, my experiences are changed drastically.

4 comments:

Mark Knox said...

Madison,

I've never doubted your desire to learn about other cultures and to "listen" to what others have to say - regardless of who they are, how old they are or where they come from (sister excluded!). If anything, I probably doubted, just a little, your ability to live it day in and day out. But, you are and you're doing so great! Geez, you're ONLY 16 years young and so open to everything and respectful to everyone.

It takes a long time to adjust to an entire new way of life, family, school, friends, food, religion, language, etc. etc. etc., but you are doing it! I know it's hard because you miss MEEE so much :), but you're making such great strides and doing it with grace.

Thank you so much for being you! - Dad

SueC said...

Madison

Your openness and happy spirit make your blogs such a great learning experience for all of us!

The sights, sounds, food and cultural experiences seen through your eyes help my understanding of the similarities, as well as differences, between our countries.

We are all enjoying your exchange, thanks to your faithful postings.

(Also, I'm really happy to know you slept in until 8 a.m.--good for you!)

Cheers,
Sue Corp
Rotary Club of Ashland--Lithia Springs

knox.madison said...

Thanks Dad! That last sentence made me cry! Thank you so much for believing in me! It is hard- and yes, you're right, it's hard because I miss YOU so much (and mom and liv)!It's no easy task- but I know that the struggles are building me into a better person, and I just have to keep staying positive!

I love you so much Dad!

Rob and Sara said...

"Attitude is altitude!" Wow! That's a golden nugget of wisdom, and so totally true.

You already had that figured out! Still, how nice to hear it in a nutshell.

I'll make sure Charlie sees this, so he can add it to the Outbound training ...

Sara