Friday, August 28, 2009

Perota and Chocolate

Last night around 9:20 p.m., my host mother and I decided to go and get something to eat for our dinner. She asked if I wanted to get perota, and since I love it, there was no hesitation in my answer of "yes." So, we left the house and walked down the street a few blocks to a "mess" nearby (a mess is a small, roadside restaurant) that is known for it's delicious perota. The sky was dark, but the street was lit brightly from all of the shops and vehicles around. The air was warm and a bit humid, and the high pitched squeak of the scooti's horns filled my ears.
We got to the shop and ordered out perota- we then got to watch as the man who owns the mess made them. He had lots of little balls of dough on a table, and his assistant would flatten them out with a rolling pin and then put them in a pile for the owner to then place them on the grill. They cooked for a few minutes, and then they were bagged, together with a sauce called "korma" and we took it home.
On the way back we stopped at a small shop in the road to get some desert- we both got a Dairy Milk Chocolate bar of different flavours, and when we got back to the apartment to finish the movie we were watching, we ate our dinner and followed it up with a sharing of each other's chocolate!

2 comments:

Terry Longshore said...

Sounds yummy - we are so glad you are having fun now! We miss the food there!

Rob and Sara said...

I looooooooove parota!

Your blogs keep making me hungry...