Saturday, August 8, 2009

Going Away Party for Surya


Last night was Surya's going away party. We all got up at our usual times (me still early) and then Mahesh and I went over to her sister's house around 11:00 a.m. On the way, we stopped to order ice cream for the party. The place where we went was just a small shop around the corner, and they make all of their ice cream fresh! It was a neat experience to see how ice cream is sold here- as you know it's hot, so you don't usually find ice cream in a completely frozen state :) We bought five liters of ice cream, and guess how much it cost??? Only about 475 rupees (that's only about ten dollars)!!!
After placing the order (the company delivers the ice cream for you), we went ahead to Mahesh's sister's house where many of their relatives had already arrived. We spent the entire afternoon watching over the cooks, and I also finished two books.
When darkness fell, people started to arrive, and the program began. Prabak and Mahesh had written an entire schedule of events for the night- starting with Surya's introduction where I got to introduce myself and then perform a mini interview of Surya (that had to be translated to the audience) about how he's feeling and what he expects. The night then continued with food, and even a few dance performances by a couple little girls (including our neighbor Sanju)! The party went on late into the night, and at around 11:00 p.m. I was falling over in my chair. My host family wasn't planning to go home anytime soon, so I got a ride home with a new friend named Shobe (pronounced Show-Bee) and her parents. They dropped me off at home where I showered and hit the bed. I woke up this morning a little later (at 7:30 a.m.) and stayed in bed trying to sleep until nine. When I did get up, no one else was awake yet, and it wasn't for another hour until I realized that no one was here! They got home and it turns out they stayed overnight there! (Don't worry, the neighbor was watching me throughout the night)!
Now it's Sunday, and I have school tomorrow...
p.s. the picture above is of my host mother and of Bapu, the little girl next door.

3 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

Wow! How lucky you are to have been part of such a big family "function"!

And how verrrry lucky you are to have a host mom who let you go home "early" to bed! :D

Surya is gonna be homesick for this kind of family life. You can help him when that happens.

Sara

Surya said...

My dad's brother and his wife and their son krishna were in the house for the whole night.It is only that you din't notice them here as they left at about 6:30 in the morning.

Rob and Sara said...

Looks like Madison got a realllllly good night's rest, to sleep through three people coming and going. :D