Monday, August 31, 2009

Yesterday


OK- I know that this is getting confusing- I've been pretty busy lately so I'm going to blog about yesterday, today!
In the morning yesterday, we all left the house around 9:30 a.m. to go see a movie! We went to a Tamil movie called "Kandasami" (spelling?) that's been the talk of the town for, if you can believe it, over a year! The movie was supposed to be released quite a while ago, and when it finally did come out there has been a rush to go and see it.
I enjoyed the film (all that I could!) - see, it was in Tamil so I couldn't understand what was being said, but I did my best to interpret from the scenes! Also, movies here are REALLY long! They usually last around three hours and have a short intermission in the middle of the movie!
The theater was HUGE! We sat in a box at the top, but below us you could see (probably) around 800+ seats! At the complex that we went to there are four theaters, and VERY different concessions to what I'm used to! The concessions that they offered included sodas (Pepsi, coke, etc.), popcorn (salted or with a spice that was pretty spicy!), samosas, burgers and ice-cream. No candy!
After the movie we all went out to lunch, and then a little later my host family, my host mother's nephews, and I drove out into a suburb of Coimbatore to the race track. When we were driving out the sky began to darken a little, and while we were there it was cool, windy and it even drizzled a bit on us! We got to watch two go-kart races, and we were all good sports fans with our hats that we had been given upon arrival! (photo above)
We left the race course around 5:20 p.m. to drive back into the city for a football (soccer) game- my school Vidhya Niketan against my host mother's old school for the district finals! Unfortunately after only a few minutes, my host mother's old school team scored several goals, and my school's team forfeit the game...it was sad- but it was pretty good soccer, and I was glad to be able to go and watch!
After the game we all went out to ice-cream and then went home around 9:00 p.m. It was a fun and busy day!

4 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!

And, my goodness, you look elegant! T-shirts and jeans never look as "smart" as Indian "dress." :D

Sara

Renu Weiss said...

Something for all to keep in mind is that Madison's blog is read by many Indians. She remains relentlessly upbeat and positive, maturely choosing this option for a public forum, and many of her entries are funny, too (screeching karaoke!). When folks (adults, no less) leave disparaging comments, like henna being disgusting and uniforms being ugly, forcing Madison to also respond negatively, it forms many impressions in our minds. I would recommend that negativity be shared over private email or Skype, in the best interests of all. Certainly, Madison needs to vent, please give her the option of doing so privately. Thanks - Renu Weiss

Anonymous said...

Our school did not forfeit....I realised that we had gone to the soccer game only after the first half was over....The final score was 1 to 5

Piriyanga...

knox.madison said...

Thanks Renu- that was actually my dad who said that and it's an inside joke with the family! But thanks for your concern!

Madison